6 April 2013

Reviewing our fans

So I went to White Hart Lane on Thursday to watch our match against Basel. It was the first time I've been to the Lane in quite some time. I enjoyed the day very much, great day, even if the result wasn't ideal.

I had high hopes for the Basel match and, as a result, I massively underestimated their team, thinking we'd get a strong result. Streller, Stocker, Salah and Serey Die were amazing for Basel; they played out of their skins. It was a surprise, but it shouldn't have been looking at their season. Looking at our performance, I thought we were lucky to get the draw. We were poor to say the least.

But this isn't a match review. This is a fan review

The Basel fans were in the stadium at 7pm and were going at it from then on. Singing, jumping, lighting flares, waving flags. Meanwhile, there were about a classroom of Yids in the stadium. Of course, we couldn't respond being so few, so I studied their antics for an hour.

The players names were read out. They not only cheered at the player's name; they repeated it, screamed it aloud. Meanwhile, the Spurs faithful lightly cheered at our players' names. Worrying reports say that fans actually booed Adebayor and Gallas when the teams were read out. Now I personally didn't hear anything malicious, but I could certainly imagine a few disgruntled fans booing the ex-gooners.

Siggo smashes in the equalizer, benefiting from a cheeky deflection
At times, we were loud. Waves of 'yid army' and 'come on you spurs' were heard, along with a few faint-hearted renditions of 'Oh when the Spurs', not strong though to make an impact. Jan Vertonghen's song and Lewis Holtby's song were heard in the first half. We stopped singing when Basel applied themselves. The Basel fans didn't stop. Not from the moment they entered the ground. That's the difference for me.

I talked before the match about our old anthem 'Can't smile without you' and questioned its absence from WHL in recent years. Th
e answer I got was that we replaced it with 'Oh when the Spurs', which not every Spurs fans sung too loudly. I question you now. Why don't we have an anthem? Before the match, I imagine players walking out to CSWY on the loudspeakers, with fans singing with them. The speakers would stop near the end, leaving us singing loud and proud. Can't this happen? I know 'Bubbles' is a stupid excuse for a song, but when they sing it, I always feel a little awe at their singing, only because I want that at the Lane. It's a small piece of identity, if nothing else.

Ade makes it 2-1. Very athletic finish.
I'd say the last 20 minutes, our reaction as fans was poor. Instead of trying to spur the team on (ha, pun), we just sat and stared at Basel pressing our team further and further into our own half. It was upsetting. With just a bit of spectator-input, the team could've had a few more chances.

It wasn't great as a fan watching us fall silent in shock, angry at a mis-touch or whatever trivial indiscretion occurred. I even heard a few dickheads on TalkSport criticize AVB's decisions! He's been excellent all season round, and should have earned more respect.

We have a responsible as fans, to stand up and support our team through thick and thin, through success and failure. Because if we do not support our team through hard times, nobody will.

No comments:

Post a Comment