5 April 2013

World War III anyone?

Whether or not the statements and talks coming out of North Korea are legit or just plain bullshit, it's safe to say that tensions are rising globally, especially between the Koreans and America. America, known for their gun-hoe attitude to negative situations, will not hesitate to attack a clear and obvious threat. Therefore, I start to worry that in the near future, we may be facing another war, and this one may be bigger than anything our generation has experienced.

So, if you didn't know, 'North Korea Army statement to state news agency says it has approval for military strikes on US, including using nuclear weapons'. Last week, they stated they were 'officially in a state of war' with South Korea. America have vowed to defend South Korea in this little tiff, so there's your war. It seems that whenever America have a problem, we have to support them, so you'll find Brits in Korea not before long. How many? Who knows...

Worst case scenario is another 'World War', and I say 'World War' very lightly because we've been close to another one since the Cold War. The War on Terror even seemed likely to be a global thing. Luckily it didn't. Either way, if these talks of nuclear weaponry have got any basis, then we're gonna have a war.

Talking of wars, I've been studying WWI and things like conscription and new age soldiers and weaponry. I've been imagining what WWIII might be like for me. 'David Cameron issues new military laws declaring all men between the ages of 18-30 will have to carry out military service'. Soon I'd find myself queuing up outside the town centre. Then they'll dress me up in uniform...

Or will I? Maybe I'd be a conscientious objector and refuse to go to the town centre. They'd eventually track me down, of course, and I'd have to hide... or defend myself... Imagine that! Me attacking a member of authority! Nah, I'd probably concede.

Perhaps I'd join the army but try and get a desk job or perhaps just something that doesn't put me in immediate danger. They'd chuck the dim and dumb straight on the front (no offence if you're in that category, but you won't exactly give you top jobs). But intelligent people were given guns and told to fight... you'd have to prove yourself as a soldier or have a good lot of money to get anywhere...

What would I be like as a soldier? Calm? Tactical? Brave? Or would I run away from the battlefield? Would I watch my mates get killed to protect my own skin? Would I be useless with a gun, lethargic, wasteful? Truth is I don't know and most of the Koreans wouldn't either, which puts us all on a level playing field.

If there were an attack on the US, the reaction would be huge, like 9/11 but much much bigger. Every other worry you ever had would be replaced by nukes and guns and uniform. It's worrying.

Although it probably won't happen, the mind does wonder, and mine does often. Maybe it'll be a relief. Wouldn't have to fuck around with A-levels for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment